Wednesday, November 16, 2011
Big Oil Threatens the Spirit Bear Coast
I just took action and signed the Petition to stop the Enbridge energy
giant from transporting tar sands oil through the lands of the Spirit
Bear.
In NRDC's words..."This spectacular rainforest, which spans the coast of Canada’s British Columbia, is one of our continent’s last and greatest wild places -- home to wolves, bears and abundant marine mammal populations. Its world-class salmon runs have sustained the native people of more than 70 First Nations for thousands of years. "
They also share that Enbridge has had more than 700 spills in the last
ten years alone. Last year, was the one we all heard about in Michigan,
where their pipeline ruptured in Kalamazoo, and the nearby community of
Battle Creek, leaving nearly one million gallons of tar sands oils and
arguably one of the worst disasters in the Midwest. So....just one failure of
the Northern Gateway pipeline could spell disaster, destroying one of the
last great continent's ecosystems and wipe out the First Nation's way of
life forever. What is even worse is, should this be allowed to happen, the
loaded supertanker which transports this would have to navigate a channel
six times narrower than the passage that sank the Exxon Valdez!
So..if you feel called to sign the Petition, you can go to:
https://secure.nrdconline.org/site/Advocacy?cmd=display&page=UserAction&id=2529&s_src=flash
I'm praying you will...for yourself, your family, and for the generations
coming up! Do it for the wildlife, the marine life. Do it for the Indigenous
Peoples and the Ecosystem!
Let us all be the change we wish to see in the world.
A'HO!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I'm going to sign it and pass it on Akasa !
I learned of the spirit bear only about 6 yrs. ago when I was praying for a young boy who is on the street & abused etc. he has white blond hair an it was so strange how I came upon the bear while praying for him I know this is his spirit guide totem ☺
I get depressed when reading these things about my country but it can't be hidden we need to deal with it because it will not go away unless we take effort to protect .Thanks so much for your love of Mother Earth
Rox
This truly saddens me.I saw this yesterday on the web...I love you Akasa and thank you .
Post a Comment