Friday, May 14, 2010

Remembering Mother's Day




















Ah Yes...Mother's Day...

I've been mulling this over
and over in my mind since
last Sunday.

One of those days that is
hard for me to move through
as my own mother crossed
over so many years ago...
I was eleven at the time.

Often times I try to remember
Mother's Day when she was
still alive and I cannot recall
anything I ever made for her
in school or even celebrating
it with her....to me that leaves
me feeling rootless but...this
year I sat with that in my
memory and decided to take a
different turn this year.  In the
past few days this is what I
feel I have come to learn from
my Mother...

When she left me so young I
learned how to become strong
even though at times I felt weak.

She taught me the value of
the lessons of my heart in that
I did not have to be a closed
off person like she was.  Always
holding things inside and never
speaking her authentic self.

When she left my sisters and I
she left me in a world of pain
and hurt but I learned that truly
there is joy and grace from
somewhere deep inside that pain.

She taught me to keep a clean
home and body to the point of
it being an obsession or
compulsion but I have learned
as I grew that while it is
wonderful to have a clean home
it is also the place where I can
be myself and if it gets messy
I can clean it up...life is messy!
It took me a long time to learn
this one, even with children,
pets, and guests.

She taught me the beauty of
music and how it fuels my
spirit and soul and sparks me
to creativity.

She taught me that death is
so much a part of life and has
visited me in my Dreamtime
as well as in my waking hours.

She taught me that I don't have
to use rage and anger to correct
my grandchildren...unfortunately
that wasn't the case with my own
children, but I will not beat myself
up over and over and over again
for the lessons I learned along
the way.  More fortunately, my
children now see how important
it was for me to break that cycle
of violence in my lifetime, so that
my grandchildren can experience
Authentic Love coming to them
via their Grandmother.

My Mother taught me so much
more and I thank her for her
Sacred Contract with me today...

I would not have become who I
Am had we not contracted with
one another...

And I thank the Most Ancient
Mother of us all for guiding me
along the way...

Happy Mother's Day Mom...
I will always love you and
miss you.  Thank You for
the many lessons!

14 comments:

mxtodis123 said...

What a wonderful memorial to your mom. I had a tough time with it, too. I just wanted to call and wish her a Happy Mother's Day, just wanted to hear her voice. But, I lit some candles and had a little ritual for my female ancestors so I am sure they all know how I feel.
Mary

DancingFire said...

You were given many gifts from your Mother. It is so truly wonderful that you came tru your loss blinded for a time ...then gained clarity enough to see the gifts you were given. Made not only for you but to those you love passed on thru the years. I love you my dearest Akasa Wolfsong. You are to me a beautiful ,strong,intelligent,loving and giving woman. the most beautiful spirit I know.xxx

AkasaWolfSong said...

Oh Mary...it is hard isn't it? That mother/daughter relationship I think is the hardest one there is. I wish I had known mine as an adult woman but it wasn't meant to be for me.

I too have had my own rituals over the years for my Mom...I'm happy you were able to do this for yourself and your ancestors...and I agree they do know how you feel. For sure!

Blessings Dear Heart!
xxx

AkasaWolfSong said...

My Long Time Sister your words touch me deeply. I love you too...without reservation. Always and forever! Thank You for the years of being there and for understanding...

Mitakuye Oyasin Beloved!

Sorrow said...

This was a beautiful and moving tribute, to the mother you are, have been will be, and those pieces that you have seen and not seen and those you have passed forward..
~smile~
wonderful...

AkasaWolfSong said...

Thank You Sister Sorrow...perhaps I will see more clearly as time goes by, the pieces of me that can come forth, now that I have been walking through my own sorrow...perhaps as well this is what it took for me to really 'see' who I AM. All Is Well.

You are Beautiful! :)

Pamela Jones said...

Pot-holders aside, dear Akasa, you have given your mother the finest gift of all -- remembrance. How beautiful. What I hear you describing is your tribute to her by becoming the woman she might have been if the abuse cycle had ended sooner.

I have a close friend who had a difficult childhood and early loss of her mom. She has a tradition of planting colorful annual flowers each year in a Mother's Day garden -- her gift to her mom.

AkasaWolfSong said...

Pot Holders Aside..he he...good one Pam, in light of the fact I am busy making a Pot Roast dinner for my family who will be arriving soon...we are planting and pruning around here today.

Sadly my cycle of abuse didn't start happening until I was in my late thirties even tho its awareness was starting to rise in my early thirties but as I said I will not live in regret any longer. It does still hurt, the things my own children have had to live through as I just did not have any parenting skills whatsoever but we began bit by bit when I began to truly 'see', and maybe in the long haul it will be a stronger kind of cutting the past.

Thank you for your sharing...and know that you are loved!
xxxooo

Merry ME said...

Akasa,
This is a lovely tribute not only to your mother but to yourself. Perhaps because you lost your mom at such and early age, then had to learn to mother yourself, celebrating your growth is the greatest Mother's day gift you could share with the woman who gave you life.

Blessings and peace.

Indie said...

Nice to meet you.

Indie

AkasaWolfSong said...

Dear Mary...mothering myself. That is profound. And why have I not ever thought of that? Of course that is what I was doing.

Wow...I need to ruminate on that one.

Thanks for your heartsong Mary...I needed to hear that today!

Blessings and Love!

xxxooo

AkasaWolfSong said...

Indie...it is so very nice to meet you! I love reading your HeartSong on your blog and by the way you are a phenominal writer!

Namaste' Dear One!

Matt D said...

I was looking over blog today for the first time. There's so much beauty here ... reading this post I was very touched.

When I read about the cleanliness part I thought of a strange pop song that was recently quite popular in Japan. It's called the god of the toilet. It sounds strange, but if you read about it, and watch the music video, I think you'll be surprised:
http://www.mutantfrog.com/2010/04/17/the-toilet-god/

:)

AkasaWolfSong said...

Greetings Matt D...Welcome to my campfire...heartwarming to read your words! I've been to read some of your poetry and it is very, very good! You have a way of touching the heart too Brother!

Walk In Beauty my New Friend!
p.s. I will check out the video!