Monday, February 1, 2010

Resilience...

I don't know how many times in my life
I've heard that children are resilient...
'Oh, he or she will bounce back!' 'Don't
worry...'

I say they are no different than you or
me. They take it in, suck it in, bury it
waaay down deep, close the lid on it,
the thing of it, so they don't have to
peek inside of 'it' until they are able
to process it, handle it, mull it over
and make sense of it, just like we do.

Children are not resilient...

I never was. I cried, and screamed.
I acted out. And then I became silent.
So did my Grandson. After a while you
learn it doesn't do any good to speak
because nobody can hear you. They
listen but they cannot hear you.

Sometimes you end up hurting yourself.
Other times you end up hurting others.
Not because you want to, but because
you don't know any other way ...
to deal with the pain. It comes out
S I D E W A Y S.

It took me all of my life to even begin
to understand why I felt the way I did.
All of my life to learn how to deal with
pain..the pain somebody else has
perpetrated on you...and here is this
little boy, my grandson, who for no other
reason than being someone's son, for
not living up to that person's expectation,
for who knows what reason, had to take
on that pain too.

When I looked in his eyes when he tried
to hurt himself I saw this beg empty
place...someone had stolen my beloved.
He was this little shell standing in front
of me, with no tears, no emotion, just
agreeing with me as I told him please
do not do this again...please let us help
you now...I know it is hard to trust the
process but now we have help and you
will be on the road to a healthier place.
And he looked up at me and I thought
I wanted to die. Just lay down and
die.

I've had this image in my head all day.
I hate it. He's getting better and I feel
pain...I hope I never get rid of that
image in my head because it will keep
me vigilant.

My heart hurts, my head hurts, and he
being the wonderful and wise young
man that he is...is home doing some
things to help him on his road to well
'being.' Today he can smile and I see
him in his eyes when I look at him.
Pretty incredible!

I think I will take my cue from him...

Grandmother Great Spirit...

Please watch over us...watch over
all those who hurt this night and
keep them safe.

A'Ho!


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

ohmygosh....this hurt so much to read...and felt so right at the same time. i think we all know a child like this....

cryin' over here.
thank you for your beautiful heart...

Merry ME said...

Grandmother Spirit, Divine One, Guardian Angel watch over this young man. Give him courage enough to use his pain as springboard to something better than he can imagine right now; give him hope that tomorrow WILL be a better day; give him strength to hang on even when it feels so easy to let go; give him love. Give him the light of a thousand suns so he will not walk in darkness. Give him the songs of a thousand birds so he will not be alone. Touch him with your heavenly Grace that all his troubles will be the path behind him so that what lies before him is gentle and good. Amen

AkasaWolfSong said...

terri and Merry Me...awww geesh...
how do you say thank you when thank you seems so inadequate?

You both have touched me beyond human words...

Now I'm crying again for beautiful people, people who inspire us to keep on going, for goodness and kindness and compassion, and for prayers, because the prayer you wrote Merry Me just about took my breath away, and I cannot wait to have my Grandson read it with me.

I don't like not being able to use his name but I have to protect him in every way that I can...

Anywho...Thank You! Both of You!
You are simply amazing and I am deeply touched.

The Muse said...

in each of us...is a hurt...
is a pain...

we must find that place of renewal...

for children, they find it through someone who truly loves them.

i think he has that..in you.

AkasaWolfSong said...

My Dear Muse...

I hope so...sometimes I feel like I'm blind and don't know how to lead him, and then I just hold him and know we will traverse the road together...nobody leading, nobody following, but totally together in the learning, from each other. We have always been connected...since he was in the womb and I used to sit and talk to him in his Momma's tummy...and I was there the day he was born and cut his umbilical cord and gave him his first bath and he knew who I was...we couldn't be any closer.
And I am so proud of him...so very proud and love him deeply and without reservation.
Thank You Dear Heart...