Monday, January 25, 2010

How Do We Help All of Humanity?

How Do We Help All of Humanity?
I've been musing over the situation in Haiti for almost two weeks now and it wrenches my heart...how people who want to help and are not able to, feel about that. I think too about how the United States' role in all of this will play out. How those who cannot afford to send a dime as they live on a monthly stipend deal with those feelings of helplessness at a time like this. As I said, it wrenches my heart. And then I have to move on, because if I sit in this mode I will become severely depressed as I have in the past with the people who suffered through Katrina, and how when I look at the statistics for those people who live on American Indian Reservations in our country and are overlooked every day of the week by the Government who owes them, by agencies who should be helping and don't, and how we can at a time like this, with the happening in Haiti, ignore the millions of people in our own country who go to bed homeless each night, go hungry, have no means of income, have no access to health care and yet here we are off and running to help another country. For the life of me what is wrong with this picture? I think it high time we in this country who do give a damn, need to start a grassroots organization run by the people and for the people to ensure that no human on this planet should have to live in the street, or go without the basic necessities of life and health care. Have we lost our moral compass? I certainly hope not. My heart actually cries each day for the injustices in this world and how I as one human being can help and here I sit, helpless to change any of it. I do what I can for those I know personally and it isn't much but my heart longs to do more, be more, help more.
I have to think about the Elders on the Pine Ridge & Rosebud Reservations (and more) who year after year go hungry, go without the basic element of heat and electricity because the Utility Corporations that service those lands just don't care and come out and shut them off in the dead of winter...or the baby living in that Elder's home who is sick, hungry, and living in deplorable situations as the Grandparents have to take care of them while Mom and Dad are out searching for anything to help them through the winter months...
I am going to post a few links for those who may on the off chance read this so that if you feel compelled to help you can...I can do my part on this much at least.
One great link is: www.linkcenterfoundation.org/ it is a great website committed to promoting Peace on Earth and Respect for All Life.
Another is: http://www.nativeprogress.org/ and this site is phenominal!
One more site is: http://www.igive.com/ and on this site you can send your donations to your favorite charity organization
In these times of growing need let's all remember we are our Brother and Sister's Keepers...if you cannot send money, say a prayer, or go through your cupboards and closets and donate what you can to local Food Shelters/Pantries so that they may distribute to those in need.
While Salvation Army and Goodwill are wonderful organizations, if you shop in them you still have to have money to buy clothing, blankets, furniture, etc...so my suggestion is to utilize those places that distribute free of charge. Another suggestion is your local Domestic Violence Shelters in your city....
Let's All do Our Part to Relieve Humanity at this Pivotal Time in our Country, and in other Countries as well. When we turn our heads and look the other way we ultimately do it to ourselves in the end...
One Hope, One Love, One Spirit, One Vision...Peace and Sustenance for All!
Akasa WolfSong

No comments: